Storm and tornado season is in full swing, and each year, the United States gets an average of 5.9 hurricanes, 1,000 tornados and 10,000 severe thunderstorms. To help people prepare, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer, America’s #1 selling brand of fuel stabilizers, and Generacgenerators, the most trusted name in residential standby power, have launched a “Storm Season: Be Ready” campaign offering tips and giveaways while also raising money for the American Red Cross.
To help educate people about how best to prepare for mother nature’s unknown, STA-BIL and Generac have created the following tips that people can do now to prepare should a natural disaster strike.
Before the storm
1. Listen to the news and local forecasts to give yourself as much notice as possible
2. Secure a back-up generator, such as a Generac portable generator to be operated safely out of doors
3. Make sure your generator is in working order by checking the oil and adding fresh fuel with a bottle of STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment to keep the fuel fresh and combat damage from ethanol in today’s gasoline
4. Run the generator for a few minutes. If the generator does not start, add a bottle of Start Your Engines! Fuel Revitalizer to clean the carburetor and intake valves and get the engine up and running quickly
5. Create a storm kit of must-have items, such as a battery operated radio, flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, bottled water, blankets, non-perishable food, can opener, first aid kit, list of phone numbers, prescription medications and games to pass the time
When a storm is on its way
1. Listen to the news to keep updated on the storm’s status
2. Obey evacuation directions in dire situations
3. Make sure your cell phone is charged and keep a charger with you
4. Set your refrigerator and freezer controls to the coldest settings to keep food longer should the power go out
5. Fill your car’s gas tank just in case you need to drive to safety
6. Take out a reasonable amount of cash in case ATMs are out of order
7. Tie down any large objects outdoors that may get thrown during a storm (e.g. patio furniture, toys) and place valuables inside in a safe place off the floor
8. Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes by filling your bathtub, sinks and other large containers with water
When a storm is in progress
1. Stay indoors and away from windows or glass doors
2. Take refuge in a small interior room or closet or below ground if possible
3. Listen to the news for updates and directions on how to proceed
In addition, consumers can enter in a sweepstakes on Facebook HERE through July 20, 2013 for a chance to win nearly $2,000 in prizes, including a Generac portable generator and weekly prize packs from STA-BIL and Start Your Engines! products. And for every entry into the sweepstakes, STA-BIL will donate $1 to the American Red Cross to support disaster relief up to $5,000.