If you are someone who likes to keep up with technology and have the newest, hottest phone available on the market, then you could help us. Each time you upgrade your phone, you could consider donating your phones to Hopeline.
It doesn’t matter WHICH provider you use, Verizon takes all of these phones and donates them to help those who have been victims of Domestic Violence. Domestic Violence statistics are staggering!! According to the Domestic Violence website:
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
You could help with just donating a phone that you have no need for. Most women could get out of their situation if they just HAD a phone to call 911, a family member, or a friend. I read somewhere that women in these situations lose that ability first in the relationship. The male dominates the woman and lets her talk less and less to the people she was once close. This is so she has nobody to run to, no way to call, no way to ESCAPE.
The Verizon Wireless HopeLine program has collected over 10+ million phones nationwide since 2001; Over $18.1 million cash grants given to domestic violence organizations since 2001; 151,000 HopeLine phones donated to victims and survivors since 2001. In 2012, Floridians alone donated more than 36,000 phones to HopeLine.
image via liveside.net
Donate a no-longer-used phone…
• At a Verizon Wireless Communications Store
• Through a HopeLine phone drive
• Through the mail, with a postage-paid label
• Collects and securely scrubs the donated phones
• Refurbishes and sells reusable phones
• Responsibly recycles unusable phones
• Donates proceeds to domestic violence organizations
Domestic Violence Survivors…
• Receive refurbished HopeLine phones
• Get free calls and texting on the Verizon Wireless network
• Benefit from HopeLine phone donations and cash grants to local HopeLine-affiliated domestic
To learn more about HopeLine from Verizon, visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.
HopeLine phones are refurbished phones that are equipped with 3,000 anytime minutes of airtime and texting capabilities. They come with Verizon Wireless Nationwide Coverage, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling, Caller ID, Basic Voice Mail and texting. HopeLine phones are available to survivors affiliated with participating domestic violence agencies.
Protecting the environment is a major focus for the HopeLine program. The program collects no-longer-used wireless phones, batteries and accessories in any condition, from any service provider. Phones that can’t be reused are recycled responsibly under Verizon’s zero landfill policy. Since 2001 the Hopeline program has recycled 1.7 million wireless phones and kept more than 260 tons of electronic waste and batteries out of landfills.
While upgrading your plan or just treating yourself, please think of those less fortunate in a situation that you could possibly help.