Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post.
Seven simple ways moms can find guilt-free daily “me” time and reduce stress
Americans are notorious for leading busy and overwhelmed lives—particularly moms. In fact, according to the 2015 Stress in America™ survey, women consistently struggle with stress and report higher stress levels than men. This Mother’s Day, DeStressify, an app that provides the simplest and most effective way to destressify your life, encourages moms to give themselves a gift that will last all year: permission to destress.
“Daily stressors may be unavoidable and out of our control, but what we can control is our response to them and how we manage our stress,” said Theresa Fox, CEO and president of DeStressify. “Moms in particular feel a pressure to excel in their perceived responsibilities, putting themselves and self-care on the back burner. But spending time on self-care rejuvenates you so you will have more to give to your family, friends and work.”
In national surveys of American moms, lack of time to get everything done, staying fit, keeping on top of clutter, worrying about children’s futures and managing finances are cited as top stressors.
This Mother’s Day, DeStressify celebrates moms by recommending seven simple and guilt-free self-care activities. When put into daily or weekly practice, self-care can reduce stress and improve focus, attention and engagement at home and at work; and help moms ultimately be the best they can be for their loved ones.
- Have some fun. When was the last time you had so much fun you laughed out loud? Make a point to do at least one fun activity each week. Don’t save it for the time you have left over; actually schedule it. Plan a fun game with your children; spend 15 minutes on the phone with your funniest friend; dance around the house; whatever it is, be joyful and have fun.
- Do something outrageous. What’s on your bucket list? Find an activity or adventure you want to try that gets your heart racing, something that will give you a sense of accomplishment and pride when you push yourself to try new things.
- Get creative. When was the last time you embraced your artistic side? Creativity uses a different part of your brain than analytical work, keeping your brain balanced. Hit Pinterest to get ideas for a new creative hobby, or join your kids on the floor with a box of crayons. Both activities will get your creative juices flowing.
- Reward yourself. Do you feel guilty when you take time for yourself? Don’t! When you do the activities that fill you up, you have more to give to others. Rewards can be as simple as eating a bowl of ice cream, getting your nails done or settling down with your favorite guilty pleasure of a TV show. Whatever your reward is, schedule it on your calendar.
- Enjoy nature. When did you last truly appreciate the beauty of nature? The energy of the outdoors can be very healing and bring you joy and inspiration. Take the family on a hike for Mother’s Day this year, or plan a quick day trip to a nearby outdoor destination.
- Make a connection. Have you made time for loved ones recently? One of the most joyful activities you can do is connect with someone you love. Sip wine and catch up with old friends; unplug while you play with your children; or take a sunset walk with your partner.
- Find a purpose. What’s your greatest passion? When you engage in activities that are valuable to you and where you feel like you are making a difference, it spurs feelings of great joy.
“Consistent feelings of stress negatively affect one’s health, and can have a detrimental effect on families’ relationships,” said Michael O. Fleming, MD, FAAFP, past president of the American Academy Family Physicians. “While it may seem like the lowest on a long list of priorities, it is crucial that moms prioritize stress management.”
DeStressify gives moms – and anyone experiencing stress – daily reminders to take some “me” time, as well as simple stress relieving activities that can be accomplished in 10 minutes or less a day. Over time, repetition of stress-relieving behaviors can change people’s perspective on the triggers that cause stress to actually help them be less stressed out.
Enjoy some daily “me” time today – and every day – and download DeStressify for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, or for Android phones and tablets.
DeStressify, by Stress Refuge, Inc., is the simplest and most effective way to destressify your life. This app offers comprehensive cross-training for stress relief, using scientifically proven techniques. DeStressify helps people with overwhelmed, busy lives achieve mental, emotional and physical wellbeing. Download the app for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, or for Android phones and tablets. Education organizations can gain access to DeStressify PRO free of charge by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.